how to make a booklet – digital [indesign] and analog.
brief group chat:
- what primary research have you done? with whom? any design professionals?
- what sources are you using for your secondary research?
- what new questions have you been asking and trying to answer?
a few more free questions for you to ponder while working during desk crit time:
- what are examples of graphic design? how do they function? [visual and written form]
- what's an example of graphic design that is meaningful to you and why? [visual and written form]
- what are examples of “high” and “low” graphic design? is it right to characterize design as "high" and "low"
review in desk crits in studio [5 min each, 1.5 hours total]:
- finished research
- organizational strategy
- initial ideas for visual approach. notice "ideas" is plural. practice now for iterations on iterations on revisions on edits on semi-finals on near-finals on finals for your project work. "one and done" will not cut it. how do you know your idea is the best one unless you try them all?
- are resources cited in chicago style?
chicago style info: use the "notes and bibliography" approach mentioned in this webpage. follow the "notes and bibliography" link to this page where many examples are listed for various media types. you can use footnotes [set in small type at the bottom of each screen or page] or end notes [all collected at the end of your presentation or booklet], and then a bibliography at the end.
discuss details of next class' small group process crit [see below].
prepare work for small group process crit on wednesday morning.
given that we have one more class before final crit, after this class, how far along should you be? let's add some detail to this for clarity's sake.
for reference, here's what you said you should have for sept 5 crit, which is the last class before the project is due:
- practice run on pres.
- fine tuning
- near final draft of booklet
be pondering a domain name. start with firstnamelastname.com – it's simple, not gimmicky, and professional. test it out here, in the upper right corner of the page. if your name is taken, try firstnamelastnamedesign.com or firstnamelastname-design.com or other simple and direct options. ultimately, it's up to you.
if you are so inclined, check out dreamhost's wordpress hosting page. this is what i recommend for your web page if you do not already have one set up. we will go over this next class, so it's good to be somewhat prepared for that.